Synthesising a service can help identify the essential building blocks of a service and what effect each of these has on the interested parties, or stakeholders.
Stages of Synthesis
1. Create an initial list of the components of the service
b) Vehicles etc.
c) Buildings with functions
d) Final delivery locations / collection locations
e) Tools necessary (bags, boxes etc.)
f) Management and admin staff
2. Gather information about these components
The list of components provide a useful framework for gathering information on the service.
– use objective sources where possible (gov / council sources).
– take photos where possible.
– talk to the people who are part of the service
– research deep web and reliable sources.
3. Map The Service and Components
a) Create a custom Google map and draw the routes
b) Add info about each site and route
This mapping helps to communicate a service to others. It has also assisted the process of collecting and organising the information. This has helped us gain an understanding of a service system.